If you are an athlete, then you already know the importance of a stronger core. You might already know how it helps in increasing your potential. And if you are a beginner, this article is going to help you in understanding the importance of a strong core.
There is a popular belief that the core includes abdominal muscles and only abdominal muscles. Well, it includes muscles in your back portion, around the pelvic bone, and abdominal muscles of course. Let us see the different core-building exercises and how they are done:
If you are a beginner, this is going to be a go-to exercise for you. The bridge is a beginner exercise. To do this, you have to:-
- Lay on your back and bend your knees.
- Make the muscles of your glutes and core tight.
- Raise your hips to make it in line with your shoulders.
- Then hold the position for about 30 seconds.
This exercise activates your glutes to lift the hips. This works for toning your butt and thighs and simultaneously trains your core. It is very effective and adaptable if you are a beginner and if you are well aware of exercises, this will help you shape your body as you wish!
Crunches are believed to be the most classic core building exercise. In this exercise, you have to lift your upper body. This helps a lot in strengthening your core. To do this, you have to:-
- Lay on your back and set your feet your butt length apart. Cross your arms around your chest.
- Relax your shoulder and neck and start to tighten your core. Lift your upper back to tuck in your chin.
- Slowly lift and lower your body and doing in sets of 10-12 is preferable.
Crunches specifically train the abdominal muscles which are involved in the core. Crunches help to build muscles but if you are thinking that it burns belly fat, then it doesn’t.
In addition to working on your core, planks are believed to be a full-body exercise. It strengthens your shoulders, back, arms, glutes, and also legs.
Planks help in shaping your body. Not only strengthening but it also makes your body flexible. To do this, you have to:-
- Start with your hands below your shoulder and your legs below your hips.
- Tighten your core and straighten your legs.
- Hold on to that position for 10-30 seconds and then slowly release.
Planks, along with your core, also strengthens your spine, your rhomboids, and trapezius which will result in poised and strong posture.
4.Supine Toe Tap
The supine toe tap is a very engaging exercise as far as your core muscles are concerned. It works on your hips, glutes, and back. Mostly, it focuses on the lower part of your body. Also, it targets your cardiovascular system. To do this, you have to:-
- Lay on your back and lift your legs so that your knees are bent to 90 degrees.
- Slowly release your left toe to touch the ground and then lift it back quickly.
- Repeat step 2 with your right leg also.
- Do it in sets of 8-10.
In place of standing and touching your toe which can cause pain after overstretching, you can do supine tiptoes. You should go slowly with this exercise and eventually in 10 days around you can observe significant improvement in your stamina.
Bird dog exercise is a floor exercise that involves the full body. Specifically beneficial for core, it is really helpful for strengthening back and core. To do this, you have to:-
- Start with hands below your shoulders and legs below your knees.
- Straighten and then lift your left leg to the level of your hips, Along with it, simultaneously lift your respective hand.
- Do the step with your other leg also.
- You can do this in sets.
This strengthens your lower and upper back along with working on your muscles of the core and building your abs just as you want!
As we have seen an exercise before, planks, this exercise can be taken as an addition to that. This works very well for core strength and also for building and improving balance. It is an excellent exercise for balance and core. To do this, you have to:-
- Keep yourself in a plank position.
- Lift your knees and bring them near your chest.
- Repeat step 2 with the other leg and keep doing in repetitions.
- You can do it in sets of 8-10.
If you are a runner then this exercise will work wonders for you. It improves response time and improves quickness. They make you used to your sped up heart and get your muscles burning.
This exercise is a variation of crunches and works on muscles around pelvic bones along with the core. Other than that, this core exercise also works on thighs which is an absolute add-on. To do this, you have to:-
- This is not a floor exercise, so get up and get going!
- Bend your knees and keep your thighs parallel to the floor.
- Bend your torso to one side along with the elbow.
- Repeat step 3 on another side.
This only cannot reduce belly fat. If you combine it with some aerobic and resistance exercises, it will be of great help.
8.Side plank with rotation
This exercise is also an extension of planks. Along with the core, it strengthens arms. To do this, you have to:-
- Lie on one of your sides giving your weight to your arms.
- Your body should make a feasible angle with the floor maintaining a straight line difference,
- Do it in rotation movements with your torso and on both sides
It is also a fat-burning exercise along with the core exercise. It also works for flexibility and stamina.
9.Bird dog with an elbow to knee
It is an extensionof basic bird dog movement by moving your knees and arms repeatedly. It engages your abs and back. To do this, you have to:-
- Put your weight on your arms and keep your hand below your shoulders and your legs below your hips.
- Lift and straighten your one hand along with the alternate hand and keep it in repetition.
- You can do it in sets of 8-12.
This exercise keeps constant tension on your muscles and hence strengthens them. Working on core also works well for building stamina. To do this, you have to:-
- Attain the crunch position as described earlier.
- Lift your knees and touch your left elbow with your right knee and vice versa.
- Repeat this for 30 seconds or so.
There are numerous exercises that you can do to build your abs. The exercises need a bit of effort and most importantly motivation. If you keep yourself motivated and stay consistent with your efforts and you can beat the power of the gym and bring your comfortable gym to your home. These were some exercises that we’ve listed for you. Keep your pace feasible and observe how these exercises work wonders for you!